Jim Rohn was a huge influence on me. I was introduced to his material by Parrish Taylor. Parrish always told me how important a mentor was in my life, and for a time, Parrish himself, was for me. But I really took to Jim’s work and his way with words.
Back in 2007 my work schedule at Chevron in San Ramon, Ca. allowed me the ability to spend my entire mornings in the gym. Farrah had the car, so I decided since the gym was only 3 miles away, I’d simply walk. So with my headset on and Rohn in the player, I walked. This was twice a day, sometimes more. I listened to his material several times, I memorized some of it.
Things started to become simple, fast.
Mr. Rohn was a business philosopher. He was an only child born in Idaho on a farm. In his 20’s he didn’t have much money or direction. This all changed when he met his soon to be mentor, Earl Shoaff. It’s hest if he tells the story, I wouldn’t do it justice. But I love the way he tells his stories.
Here is just a small list of quotes:
- Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom.
- The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not a bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.
- We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.
- Days are expensive. When you spend a day you have one less day to spend. So make sure you spend each one wisely.
- Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
- If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.
- Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
- Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practised every day.
- Don’t join an easy crowd; you won’t grow. Go where the expectations and the demands to perform are high.
- Learn how to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want.